Versalab innovations, starting with the M3 espresso machine in 2002. A number of these have been adopted by other manufacturers.
M3 GRINDER Single dose grinder of totally unique design.
• No retention.
• No beans going stale in the grinder.
• Straight through grind path.
• Dual action burr set - both conical and flat - total grind path 1.6” (40.6mm) long.
About the equivalent of a 98mm set of flat burrs.
• Moving wiper to sweep the grounds out the exit.
• DC motor driven for better torque and cooler running.
• Slow grind speed of 500 rpm.
• Preserves flavor by simple fast process from grind to brew.
• Dosing hopper that prevents beans sitting in the burrs between shots.
• Portafilter holder that firmly holds the portafilter during grinding.
THE PRESS Compressed air driven device to tamp grounds in the portafilter.
• Capable of greater forces for better shots.
• Regulated to less than 1 pound force error.
M3 ESPRESSO MACHINE Everything about it was outrageous.
• DC motor powered pump with pump inside the boiler. In fact, all hot water plumbing
including brew head inside boiler.
• Actual brew water temperature controlled to +/- two tenths º F.
• No three way valve so no old flavors into next shot of espresso.
• Wood portafilter handle for pleasure.
• Computer controlled brew pressure, and water temperature.
• Separately heated brew bayonet.